“True yogic education is lighting a lamp, not filling a bucket.” – A. G. Mohan
Deepen your yoga and learn lifelong skills for personal well-being with the internationally recognized 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training Program with world-renowned yoga masters A. G. Mohan and Indra Mohan, Dr. Ganesh Mohan, and Nitya Mohan in India.
The focus of this training program is experiential and transformative—integrating the teachings of “the father of modern yoga” Sri Krishnamacharya, the classical yoga texts, asana, pranayama, meditation, with modern science and practical application.
Benefit from direct access to master teachers who will guide and support your path forward—whether you are currently a teacher looking to further your knowledge and experience, a yoga practitioner ready to take the step to becoming teacher, or simply a sincere student seeking yoga and mindfulness tools for a clear, steady mind and open, joyful heart.
Graduates of the training receive a teaching certificate registered with Yoga Alliance enabling you to teach yoga anywhere in the world.
Teachers: Mohan Family
A. G. Mohan is internationally respected as one of the most senior yoga masters and a direct link to the authentic yoga traditions of yoga. With more than 45 years of experience in studies and teaching, he started as a disciple of the legendary yogi Sri Krishnamacharya in 1971 and went on to study with him until 1989. After Krishnamacharya’s passing, A. G. Mohan continued to study further, exploring ayurveda, tantra, and deeper studies in yogic philosophy. You can read more about A. G. Mohan’s lifelong journey in yoga here.
Indra Mohan is one of the very few people ever awarded a postgraduate diploma in yoga from Sri Krishnamacharya. With 45+ years of experience in the yoga field, she is one of the senior-most yoga teachers in the world. She brings a compassionate approach to all her teaching and her students, and she is a skillful and insightful yoga therapist. She has helped thousands of private students of all ages and abilities through their life challenges with yoga practices, wisdom teachings, and her calm presence.
Nitya Mohan, daughter of A. G. Mohan and Indra Mohan, has been the director of Svastha Yoga & Ayurveda teacher training programs in Singapore since 2001. She has been teaching for over 25 years. Trained from a young age in yoga, music and Sanskrit, she is also a lifelong practitioner. She conducts seminars, workshops and yoga trainings internationally. She is an exponent of Vedic chanting, holds a music degree and performs internationally. She is a skilled and experienced teacher and an exceptional singer hailed for her purity of voice.
Dr. Ganesh Mohan, son of A. G. Mohan and Indra Mohan, was trained in yoga from early childhood and is a medical doctor, with a background in both modern modern medicine and Ayurveda. He is at the forefront of the emerging field of yoga therapy, and for a decade has conducted yoga teacher and yoga therapy trainings around the world in more than a dozen locations. He works with other healthcare professionals and yoga teachers to develop and offer well-being programs.
The Mohans represent an extraordinary wealth of yoga knowledge with a combined yoga teaching experience of well over 100 years! They are one of the few remaining direct links to the authentic yoga traditions of Krishnamacharya and classical yoga. They are particularly known for making in-depth yoga knowledge accessible through a clear and personalized teaching style.
The Mohans are also authors of numerous books on yoga.
- Rare opportunity to study directly with world-renowned contemporary master yoga teachers & authors.
- In India, offering the possibility of absorbing the culture and milieu as well.
- 3-week full-time training with both an educational and personal transformation focus.
- Follow up with online education at YogaKnowledge.net.
- A great opportunity to broaden your knowledge and skill-set, and practically integrate the teachings in to your own practice.
- Connect with a global community of sincere yoga practitioners and teachers.
- Yoga Alliance registered training.
What This Program Will Give You
- Skills to deepen your personal growth and effective yoga knowledge and practice you will use for the rest of your life.
- Understanding of the full spectrum of yoga practices: asana, pranayama, meditation, Yogasutras, mantras and more.
- The teachings of the great yogi Krishnamacharya from a trustworthy and direct source.
- Firm foundation and approach to teach yoga to people of all ages and fitness levels.
- A comprehensive base to progress to the Svastha Yoga Therapy program and deepen and widen your skills of yoga therapy,
- An internationally recognized qualification enabling you to confidently teach yoga anywhere in the world.
A. G. Mohan with his guru Sri Krishnamacharya at 100 years in 1988
Daily format of the program will include all the following.
(A) Lectures on:
- Yoga Sutra, Samkhya, traditional texts.
- Yoga philosophy and Eastern philosophy
- Understanding yoga psychology
(B) Application of:
- Functional movement
- Breathing techniques
- Meditation and mindfulness techniques
(C) Guided practices:
- Guided asana, pranayama, meditation, mantra chanting, mudras, bhavana and more.
(D) Observation and teaching skills
Following program completion, participants:
- Have the option of continuing online education at YogaKnowledge.net after program completion.
- Will receive a certificate of completion of 200-hour yoga teacher training to register with Yoga Alliance.
- Philosophy and psychology of yoga based on the Yogasutras of Patanjali.
- Sanskrit terminology: key words and concepts to facilitate and retain authenticity in the teaching and transmission.
- Theory of Krishnamacharya’s Hatha Yoga practice.
- Traditional vinyasa system of Krishnamacharya, combining breathing and movement.
- Function-oriented approach to movement in asanas: awareness, stability, alignment, stretching, mobilization, daily life application.
- Core asanas essential for fitness and in a therapeutic setting.
- Preparation and balancing.
- Common and useful variations.
- Using asanas in the larger yoga path. Deepen and broaden by practicing more asanas and pranayama and lead on to the advanced breath work and skill of the bandhas. Connect this to the deeper aspects of yoga and the meditation and mindfulness. This subject will also integrate the skills and topics learned so far.
- Principles of sequencing from the traditional approach of Krishnamacharya and further developments from there.
- Foundations of personal course planning and sequencing.
- Understand the principles of sequencing and develop sequences for different needs.
- Bring together instructions, presentation, and teaching practice learned over the course to deliver yoga classes.
A. G. Mohan in shoulderstand (L) in 1973 when studying under Krishnamacharya and (R) 42 years later in 2015.
- Principles and practice of working with your breath effectively.
- Using asanas to prepare for pranayama.
- Important types of pranayama with hands-on practice.
- Using sound in asanas.
- Using sound in meditation.
- Theory of meditation and mindfulness: why, what, and how.
- Practicing a core set of useful meditation techniques and skillful mindfulness.
Anatomy & Physiology
- Essential anatomy and physiology as applied to asanas.
- Practical and functional points only, without non- relevant theory.
- Explore how functional anatomy can help you understand practicing yoga effectively.
- Key principles of movement and breathing in asana and pranayama explored from the modern science perspective.
Chanting & Mantras
- Importance and theory of chanting.
- Useful mantras for chanting and meditation.
- Simple chants e.g. traditional Vedic peace chants.
- Focus on the use of sound and mantra in asana, pranayama, meditation. Practice mantra meditation, intentions, and affirmations in yoga practice.
- Introduction to Ayurvedic doshas and prakrti.
- Basic principles of Ayurvedic diet.
- Mudras and bandhas: their importance and how to practice and teach them.
- System of nadis, prana, cakras and their relevance to practice.
Establishing and refining one’s personal practice is a key element of this program.
- Training from 4 – 26 January 2020.
- 2 Free Days: Saturday 11 & 18 January
- Pay deposit upon acceptance of your application to secure your place.
- Pay in full by 9 November 2019 for Early Bird price.
Sri Krishnamacharya blessing A. G. Mohan (1988)
Community & Mentoring
- Develop like-minded friends and connections for life – we encourage community engagement among the participants, and many continue to stay in touch and nurture their relationships for life after attending Svastha trainings.
- After the program, participants can join the larger Svastha community online and continue with mentoring sessions with the Mohans and other teachers as well.
- YogaKnowledge.net contains hundreds of videos from the Mohans that will help you pursue deeper studies to further understand the materials covered in the training, and also continue learning according to your interests.
- The Hatha Yoga of Krishnamacharya is a foundation program for further yogic education, yoga therapy training programs, and to becoming a competent, knowledgeable yoga teacher and/or yoga therapist.
- Continue with the Svastha Yoga Therapy Program offered around the world.
- This training program provides you with an immediate qualification to teach and share yoga in a variety of settings in your own community.
- Drawing on the timeless, practical wisdom of the Yogasutras of Patanjali this program provides a toolkit of accessible yogic practices which can be applied to help understand and manage thoughts, emotions, and behaviors.
- The accessible, non-technical format of this program means it can be taught and integrated into well-being programs in corporate, educational, health, aged care and other community contexts.
Sri Krishnamacharya blessing Indra Mohan (1988)
The 23-day program is to be held at the unique Mamalla Beach Resort located just outside the seaside town of Mamallapuram, 50 km south of Chennai. With its lovely beach and tropical gardens, the resort offers a serene environment for rest and reflection outside of program hours. There is direct beach access and an outdoor freshwater swimming pool. The venue is around 55 km from the Chennai International Airport.
There are 24 twin-share rooms available onsite, which can be booked directly with the resort on a first come, first served basis. All rooms are well-appointed, including wifi, and open out to views of the beach.
A healthy vegetarian breakfast and lunch are provided daily and included in the cost of your accommodation.
Evening meals can be taken in the resort’s restaurant, alternatively there are many eating options in the nearby town of Mamallapuram, approximately 2.5 km from the resort.
$3300 USD ($1800 inclusive of GST toward India program. $1500 toward international services, training materials, support etc.)
$500 deposit. Balance $2800.
Your $500 deposit is payable on registration. This reserves your place and is your commitment to attend and is therefore non- refundable. If you cancel before the 23rd November 2019 all payments made will be refunded (other than your non-refundable deposit).
- 23-day training with the Mohans
- 1-to-1 mentoring session with the Mohans
- Comprehensive training manual
- Internationally recognized teaching certificate (Yoga Alliance 200-hour)
Mamalla Beach Resort Accommodation Package
Twin Share room including breakfast & lunch: INR $2750 per person, per night (approximately $40 USD). Please book your accommodation directly with Mamalla Beach Resort and mention that you are attending the training program with the Mohans.
You can register online by completing the form below:
The Mohans’ books Yoga Therapy and Yoga for Body, Breath & Mind are used around the world in yoga teacher and yoga therapy trainings as source texts for course content. It is not a requirement for the program, but you can choose to pick up any of these books to familiarize yourself with the source and the approach of the teachings.
Below is the list of titles:
Yoga Therapy: A Therapeutic Guide to Yoga and Ayurveda for Health and Fitness. A. G. Mohan, Indra Mohan, Dr. Ganesh Mohan, Nitya Mohan.
Yoga Reminder: Lightened Reflections. A. G. Mohan
Yoga for Body, Breath, and Mind: A Guide to Personal Reintegration. A. G. Mohan. Foreword by Sri Krishnamacharya.
Krishnamacharya: His Life and Teachings. A. G. Mohan with Dr. Ganesh Mohan
Hatha Yoga Pradipika: Translation with Notes from Krishnamacharya. A. G. Mohan & Dr. Ganesh Mohan
Yoga Yajnavalkya. Translated by A. G. Mohan with Dr. Ganesh Mohan