The Svastha Yoga Teacher Training is a special program which integrates the traditional teachings of Krishnamacharya with modern wisdom.
The principle of Svastha Yoga is to lead each individual to well-being. We integrate the ancient wisdom of yoga and ayurveda with modern science and medicine to offer accessible, insightful, and sustainable skills for your well-being and self-care.
If your intention is to:
– deepen your own practice;
– become a yoga teacher; or
– integrate practical yogic tools and techniques into your life;
this program offers you what you need.
You will learn the techniques and gain the skills to practice and teach yoga from a foundation of real knowledge. This program is also an opportunity for self-development and personal transformation.
“The focus of this training program is experiential and transformative. True yoga education (vidya) is ‘lighting a lamp, not filling a bucket.” – A. G. Mohan
The teacher training program has been running since 2001 globally and is the first one offered in Amsterdam; it will be conducted only once a year. All classes are accompanied by extensive course materials and recordings to support the experiential learning.
This training is regularly updated and combines the collective knowledge, areas of expertise, and insights of the Svastha community.
About Svastha Yoga & Ayurveda
Svastha Yoga & Ayurveda was founded by A. G. Mohan and Indra Mohan to build on the teachings of Sri Krishnamacharya. Krishnamacharya was one of the most influential yoga masters of his time and is often referred to as the “father of modern yoga.” A. G. Mohan was a personal student of Sri Krishnamacharya for 18 years. Indra Mohan received her post graduate diploma in yoga from Sri Krishnamacharya. Svastha runs yoga and well-being programs in numerous international locations.
Anneke Sips is a Svastha Yoga Teacher (E-RYT-500) and Therapist (C-IAYT) and Registered Nurse (RN) who has been working in the field of psychiatry since 1998. She is the founder of Network Yoga Therapy and The Yoga Therapy Conference in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Her expertise can be found in yoga for mental health and especially trauma and psychosis. She designs and offers compassion-based therapeutic yoga programs and is a bridge-builder in the field of yoga therapy for mental health in The Netherlands and globally. She enjoys studying with the Mohan family Mohan and teaching the Svastha programs.
Irina Sheftel is a yoga teacher (RYT-200) with a background in medical biology and a PhD in cognitive neuroscience. Irina has been teaching yoga for the past five years and since 2018, has been associated with Network Yoga Therapy. In her work, Irina blends scientific knowledge with the yogic vision of balanced living. She is currently in training to become a yoga therapist in the Svastha program. Irina’s biggest hope is more research and evidence-based approach to yoga and yoga therapy will pave the way for holistic approaches in healthcare.
Willemijn Noordhoff is a medical doctor training to become a psychiatrist. She attended her first yoga teacher training in India in 2011. After that, she continued learning through different courses in yoga and meditation as well as the Svastha Yoga Therapy program. Currently, in addition to working as a medical doctor in psychiatry, she is a yoga educator and offers group classes in hospitals as well as individual yoga therapy sessions. She is excited to see what yoga can do for the medical world and vice versa. When not working at the hospital, she loves to go into nature and surf in the ocean. In surfing, she finds parallels with the philosophy of yoga. “You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf.
- This round is especially for for Health and Wellness professionals.
- Language: Dutch
- 7-month part-time structure.
- Weekend intensive, once every month.
- Weekly email contact.
- Personal, one-on-one classes with the faculty; flexible schedule.
- Personal attention; limited intake of students each year.
- No prerequisites other than commitment and interest in managing your health and well-being.
- Certificate upon completion. Registered with Yoga Alliance (RYT-200) enabling you to teach internationally.
- Opportunity to continue online education at YogaKnowledge.net.
The program focuses on both personal development – learning to practice yoga for your own well-being – as well as the skills required for you to teach yoga in groups as well one on one, for example to use with your clients or patients.
- Philosophy and psychology of yoga based on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.
- Sanskrit terminology: key words and concepts to facilitate and retain authenticity in the teaching and transmission.
- Theory of Krishnamacharya’s hatha yoga practice.
- Function-oriented approach to movement in asanas: awareness, stability, alignment, stretching, mobilization, daily life application.
- Traditional vinyasa system of Krishnamacharya, combining breathing and movement.
- Core asanas essential for fitness and in a therapeutic setting.
- Preparation and balancing.
- Common and useful variations
- Using asanas to lead on to the advanced breath work and skill of the bandhas.
- Connecting physical yoga to the deeper aspects of yoga and meditation and mindfulness.
- Principles of sequencing from the traditional approach of Krishnamacharya and further developments from there.
- Foundations of personal course planning and sequencing for your own practice.
- Understand the principles of sequencing and develop sequences for different needs for others.
- Bring together instructions, presentation, and teaching practices learned over the course to deliver yoga classes.
- Principles and practice of working with your breath effectively.
- Using asanas to prepare for pranayama.
- All the important types of pranayama with practice.
- Using sound in asanas.
- Using sound in meditation.
- Theory of meditation and mindfulness: why, what, and how.
- Practicing core meditation techniques and skillful mindfulness.
Anatomy & Physiology
- Essential anatomy and physiology as applied to asanas.
- Explore how functional anatomy can help you understand and practice yoga effectively.
- Key principles of movement and breathing in asana and pranayama explored from the perspective of modern science.
Chanting & Mantras
- Importance and theory of useful mantras for chanting and simple chants e.g. traditional Vedic peace chants.
- Focus on the use of sound and mantra in asana, pranayama, meditation.
- Practicing mantra meditation, intentions, and affirmations in yoga practice.
- Introduction to Ayurvedic doshas and basic principles of Ayurvedic dietetics.
- Daily routines of Ayurveda.
- Mudras and bandhas: their importance and how to practice and teach them.
- System of nadis, prana, cakras and their relevance to practice.
Establishing and refining one’s personal practice is a key element of this program.
Following the teacher training, you can join the larger Svastha community internationally, with the possibility of going on with further therapeutic yoga studies. You can apply yoga to people with various health conditions.
The online platform YogaKnowledge.net contains hundreds of videos from the Mohans on the various in-depth traditional yoga topics from Yogasutra to pranayama and kundalini, offering you self-paced learning for years to come.
Mentoring & Support
Participants will receive one-to-one mentoring sessions during the training program. Private mentoring sessions are insightful and potentially life-changing – with key issues and obstacles identified and addressed.
What this program will give you
- Skills to deepen your personal growth and effective yoga knowledge and practice you can use for the rest of your life;
- Comprehensive knowledge of the full spectrum of yoga practices: asana, pranayama, meditation, yoga sutra, ayurveda, mantras and more;
- Firm foundation and approach to teach yoga to people of all ages and fitness levels;
- The opportunity to be part of a community of people who are similarly committed to a path of personal transformation;
- A comprehensive base to progress to the Svastha Yoga Therapy program and deepen and widen your skills of yoga therapy;
- An internationally recognized qualification enabling you to confidently teach yoga anywhere in the world.
- A network of like minded people – locally and internationally.
Program tuition includes
- Weekend intensives
- Weekly email contact
- One private session
- All course materials making up a comprehensive training manual
- Internationally recognized certificate (Yoga Alliance)
There is also an option to pay in installments.
Date & Duration
The program will run from September 17, 2021 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
The training will start in a new form: a blended learning form and will take place online and ‘in person’ in the Lifestyle as Medicine Center in Overveen/Haarlem and will be concluded with a 4-day retreat in Lochem (www.centrumathanor.nl). This learning form has been chosen in order to be able to offer clarity, flexibility and a personal approach in these uncertain times. As a training institute and as trainers, we find physical meeting of added value. The start is with a physical meeting, as well as the concluding retreat. Between the online days there are physical meetings in groups and with the trainers. If there is a need and it is also possible, certain online moments can be converted to physical meetings on request.
Below you will find the dates, so you can keep them free in your agenda.
Time: 09.00 am – 04.00 pm
Block 1 and 2: Friday, 17 September – Sunday, 19 September 2021 at Lifestyle as Medicine Center in Overveen
All three days are from 9.30 am to 4.30 pm
Block 3: Saturday, 9 October – Sunday, 10 October 2021 (online)
Evaluation 1: around 29 October 2021 » subgroups come together and make an appointment with Anneke
Block 4: Saturday, 13 November – Sunday ,14 November 2021 (online)
Block 5: Saturday, 11 December – Sunday, 12 December 2021 and Friday, 7 January 2022 (online)
Evaluation 2 : around Sunday, 23 January 2022 » subgroups come together and make an appointment with Anneke
Block 6: Friday ,11 February – Saturday, 12 February 2022 (online)
Retreat and final evaluation Thursday, 10 March to Sunday, 13 March 2022. Retreat programs will begin at 10 am on 10 March and conclude by 4 pm on 13 March 2022)
This retreat (required for the training) will take place in Schoorl, the Netherlands ( www.dopersduin.nl )
Life Style as Medicine center
Building 2: Lifestyle center
2051 AA Overveen
Application Process & Contact
As this is a special program with limited numbers and individual attention, students are accepted into the program only after an interview (telephone call or video conference) with Anneke Sips. Note that this program is designed for medical, health and wellness professionals. It will be taught in Dutch.
This meeting will also offer you an opportunity to view the extensive course materials and go through them with guidance and also understand the detailed course contents, outcome, teaching methods and structure.
To arrange a meeting with Anneke Sips: Email: [email protected]; Phone: +31 6 18786883 (WhatsApp only)
If we cannot physically meet in September 2021, this training will start online.
The Mohans’ books Yoga Therapy and Yoga for Body, Breath & Mind are used around the world in yoga teacher and yoga therapy trainings as source texts for course content. It is not a requirement for the program, but you can choose to pick up any of these books to familiarize yourself with the source and the approach of the teachings.
Below is the list of titles:
Yoga Therapy: A Therapeutic Guide to Yoga and Ayurveda for Health and Fitness. A. G. Mohan, Indra Mohan, Dr. Ganesh Mohan, Nitya Mohan.
Yoga Reminder: Lightened Reflections. A. G. Mohan
Yoga for Body, Breath, and Mind: A Guide to Personal Reintegration. A. G. Mohan. Foreword by Sri Krishnamacharya.
Krishnamacharya: His Life and Teachings. A. G. Mohan with Dr. Ganesh Mohan
Hatha Yoga Pradipika: Translation with Notes from Krishnamacharya. A. G. Mohan & Dr. Ganesh Mohan
Yoga Yajnavalkya. Translated by A. G. Mohan with Dr. Ganesh Mohan